This Store Brand Keeps Winning Our Taste Tests. Here’s Why.
We do a lot of taste tests at Taste of Home. Find out what brand wins time and time again. Spoiler: It's pretty surprising!
We’ve done a lot of taste tests at Taste of Home HQ (look at all of our tests!). While the big names do clean up well in some tests, like our cola trial or macaroni and cheese panel, one grocery store chain has come out on top time and time again: Aldi.
That’s right: The budget grocer has some of our favorite products around in all kinds of categories. Find out what Aldi does well and what you should be stocking up on your next grocery run.
The Best Aldi Products We’ve Found
Brianna Gripentrog/Taste of Home
Aldi has consistently placed first in a handful of taste tests across various categories. Check out these were Aldi brands took the top spot (oftentimes by a landslide!).
- Angel food cake mix: Aldi’s Baker’s Corner angel food Cake produced a moist, fluffy cake that looked homemade (perfect if you’re trying to make a shortcut dessert).
- Crescent rolls: These rolls were flaky and fluffy. No leftovers were to be had at this testing! Grab a can of these to use in our crescent dough-based recipes.
- Peanut butter cups: We know Reese’s seems like the go-to for peanut butter cups, but Aldi’s Choceur brand will have you thinking again.
- Potato chips: A bag Clancy’s, an Aldi-exclusive brand, is a must at your next barbecue.
And let’s not forget Aldi’s good showing in these tests. In these Aldi snagged the silver or bronze:
- Canned biscuits: It stands to reason that Aldi did so well with canned biscuits after a crescent roll win. Pop open a can to use in monkey bread and much more.
- Chicken noodle soup: Canned soup is hard to get right (we’ve all made a disappointing lunch from a lackluster can). But Aldi’s was full of flavor and plenty of chicken.
- Chocolate chips: Another score for Baker’s Corner! These chips tasted of quality chocolate (no surprise there!).
- Chocolate frosting: Baker’s Corner chocolate frosting was creamy and sweet—all things you expect from canned frosting.
- Frozen meatballs: When it comes to frozen meatballs, the recipe options are seemingly limitless. A bag of Aldi’s would work well in all these appetizers and dinner dishes.
- Yellow cake mix: Even great bakers can admit a box mix hits the spot once in a while, especially when used in these recipes.
What Makes Aldi So Good?
If you’re a regular Aldi shopper, perhaps these results aren’t a surprise. Aldi fans know that the store prides itself on high-quality ingredients. Aldi products are free of trans fats, synthetic colors and MSG. You’ll also find plenty of organic items as well. Don’t miss 5 more reasons to love Aldi.
And on top of the great quality and proven flavor, Aldi products are just so affordable. You’ll find products like European chocolate, premium cheeses and all the products listed above for just a fraction of the cost of a traditional grocer.