The Complete Cast Iron Cooking Guide
Here's everything you need for iron-clad success, including our favorite cast iron recipes, the best cooking techniques and the top gear you need in your kitchen.
For most people, a cast iron obsession starts with a single skillet. After just a few meals, they’re shopping for Dutch ovens, griddles and beyond. And it’s no wonder: With its impressive versatility, breezy cleanup and solid construction, cast iron cookware has been the kitchen workhorse for generations. (See how they’re made!)
This guide reveals all the best cast iron recipes, care tips and cooking gadgets our Test Kitchen stands behind. Follow along, and before you know it, you’ll be a cast iron master just like Grandma.
What to Make with Your Cast-Iron Cookware
From breakfast to dinner to dessert, you can make just about anything in cast iron. First, learn how to cook Grandma’s recipes in your cast-iron skillet, then tackle more amazing dishes.
- How to Make the Best-Ever Salmon in a Cast-Iron Skillet
- How to Make the Best Fajitas at Home
- How to Cook Steak in a Cast-Iron Skillet
- 50 Healthy Recipes That’ll Put Your Cast Iron Skillet to Work
- 23 Chicken Recipes to Cook in Your Cast Iron
- 29 Cast-Iron Skillet Recipes for Potlucks
- 10 Adorable Mini Cast-Iron Skillet Recipes
- 14 Pretty Upside-Down Cakes Baked in Your Cast-Iron Skillet
- 12 Treats to Fry in Your Cast-Iron Skillet
- 17 Breads You Can Make in a Cast-Iron Skillet
Our Favorite Cast Iron Cooking Secrets
Get the most out of that trusty pan. Our Test Kitchen pros are here to show you what to do (and what not to) with a cast-iron skillet.
- What’s the Best Cookware? Cast Iron or Ceramic? Stainless or Nonstick? Metal or Glass?
- The One Thing You’re Not Doing with Your Cast-Iron Skillet (Yet!)
- How to Cook with Cast Iron on Any Type of Stove
- 10 Foods You Should Be Cooking in a Cast-Iron Skillet
- 10 Tiny Tweaks to Make When You’re Cooking with Cast Iron
How to Care for Your Cast-Iron Skillet
Even your favorite heavy-duty pan needs a refresh once in a while. Learn how to clean cast iron after everyday use, extra-messy recipes and even years of neglect. Wondering how to season it? We’ll tell you that, too.
- How to (Gently!) Clean a Cast-Iron Skillet
- Here’s the Single Best Tool for Cleaning Cast Iron
- The Surprising Ways You Never Thought to Clean Cast Iron
- How to Season a Cast-Iron Skillet
- The Easy Way to Restore a Rusted Cast-Iron Skillet
The Best Cast-Iron Products You Can Buy
You can find all the things we love about cast iron—durability, naturally nonstick coating and easy cleanup—in lots of handy styles (and fun ones, too!). Vintage cast iron is in a league of its own. These are the new cast-iron products and accessories we recommend.
12 Types of Cast Iron You Should Know
10 Must-Have Cast Iron Accessories
Buy Our Test Kitchen’s Favorite Skillet ($15)
Note: Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.