Easy Apple Cake
Flavored with cinnamon and apples, Sherry Ashenfelter’s old-fashioned apple cake is moist, delicious and has been a family favorite for decades.
Flavored with cinnamon and apples, Sherry Ashenfelter’s old-fashioned apple cake is moist and delicious. Even better, it’s quick to make and has been a family favorite in Waterville, Ohio for decades.
But Sherry started wondering how to make that special cake even better. “It can’t be low in calories with a full cup of vegetable oil,” she decided. “Besides using a sugar substitute, is there something else we can do to improve nutrition and make it better for my family?”
- First, the team decreased the cup of oil to 1/4 cup, replacing some with applesauce.
- Next, they cut the amount of walnuts in half and toasted them for flavor.
- The sugar was decreased, and some was replaced with a sugar blend for baking.
- Adding ground flaxseed to the batter also added healthy omega-3 fatty acids and fiber to the cake.
- And to top things off? Reduced-fat whipped topping instead of whipped cream or frozen custard.
The resulting Makeover Easy Apple Cake has less than half the original’s fat and a good third fewer calories, plus added fiber! Even better, it’s still a great-tasting treat or a late-afternoon pick-me-up with coffee or tea.