How to Make Ice Cream Bread—Just 3 Ingredients!
Ice cream bread is the three-ingredient treat you need be making. In just 30 minutes, you'll have a treat worthy of dessert (or even breakfast).
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
A good pint (or two) of ice cream is a must-have in the freezer. A scoop is a perfect easy dessert or midnight snack. You can even turn your favorite flavor into a no-bake pie perfect for summer.
But did you know you can turn your flavor of choice into a loaf of bread? It sounds a little wacky, but a cup of ice cream plus self-rising flour and a bit of sugar just might be the easiest quick bread recipe you’ve ever heard of.
How to Make Ice Cream Bread
Taste of Home
When we say ice cream bread is easy, we mean it! All you need is ice cream, a bit of sugar and self-rising flour. And if you don’t have self-rising flour, don’t fret! Here’s an easy way to make self-rising flour. Just follow along with this ice cream bread recipe from our Test Kitchen.
- 1 cup ice cream, softened (our Test Kitchen used butter pecan, but any flavor will work)
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
What You’ll Need
- Ice cream: Use any flavor you like for this recipe. It’s the perfect time to experiment with that flavor you’ve been eyeing up in the freezer section.
- Ice cream scoop: Invest in one of our editors’ favorite ice cream scoops to glide through even the most frozen pint.
- Mini loaf pan: This recipe makes small loaves (perfect for sharing). Make sure you’ve got mini loaf pans on hand.
To make ice cream bread, start by letting your pint soften a bit. Let it sit on the counter for 10 to 15 minutes.
Once softened, just mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl with a spatula or wooden spoon—no electric mixer is necessary. Then transfer the batter into a 5-3/4x3x2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 350ºF for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!
How to Make an Ice Cream Bread Stack Cake
While this ice cream bread is good on its own, it gets even better when you transform it into the ultimate summer dessert.
Turning your loaf into an ice cream bread ice cream cake is easy. When the loaf is cool, slice it into three sections horizontally. Then spread a layer of softened ice cream between the bottom and second layer—just like making homemade ice cream sandwiches. Freeze until firm—about 15 minutes. Then repeat with the next layer.
Top with fudge sauce and sprinkles (the more the better!). Let this freeze until very firm—at least an hour—before slicing and serving.
Ice Cream Bread Tips
This recipe is extremely simple, so no fancy technique tips here! But we do have a few pointers that’ll make this recipe go even more smoothly.
- Soften the ice cream at room temperature: 15 minutes on the counter is enough to soften the ice cream. Avoid the microwave, though. Testers found that bread made with ice cream softened (and slightly melted) by the microwave wasn’t quite as light.
- Try different flavors: The options are as limitless as the selection in the freezer aisle. You can also use homemade ice cream in this recipe.
- Use different pans: Try a small tart pan or pie dish for baking. A tart pan will bake in just about 20 minutes—and no need to adjust the temperature of the oven. You could even try this ice cream bread recipe in a cupcake or mini cupcake pan. Frosting and extra sprinkles are a given!