How to Order a Healthier Starbucks Frappuccino
Cool, creamy and light on calories? Yes, please! Which healthy Starbucks frappuccino will you try first?
Sweet, creamy, icy and… healthy? Yep, it’s possible to order a healthy Starbucks Frappuccino and enjoy all that coffee goodness without blowing your healthy eating plan.
How to Order a Low-Calorie Frappuccino
While a Starbucks Frappuccino is a decadent treat, it’s surprisingly easy to cut the calories without sacrificing flavor. Just a few small tweaks can go a long way!
- Ask for the “light” option: The coffee, caramel, mocha, java chip, and cafe vanilla Frappuccinos are all available in a lighter version for 33 fewer calories than the original.
- Skip the whip: Ask your barista to hold the whipped cream. This cuts calories and won’t take away from the sweetness of the drink.
- Choose lighter milk: Frappuccinos usually come with 2% milk, so to slash calories, ask for skim milk. Or go plant-based and substitute in almond, soy, coconut or oat milk.
- Opt for sugar-free syrup: Switch to sugar-free syrup for all the taste and way fewer calories.
- Cut down on the pumps: If you love your Frappuccino flavor, reduce the number of pumps of syrup. You’ll still get the flavor you love, and you may even find that you prefer a less sweet option.
- Ditch the toppings: Some Frappuccinos come with toppings like a caramel drizzle, chocolate chips or cookie crumbs. But let’s be honest—the toppings don’t add much to your drink and usually end up clogging up the straw. Ditch ’em for a lighter Frappuccino.
FYI: You can order a healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks, too.
How to Order a Dairy-Free Frappuccino
Starbucks offers four types of dairy-free milk, including oat, soy, almond and coconut. When ordering your Frappuccino, ask your barista to use the plant-based milk of your choice instead of the usual 2%. Then skip the whip for a dairy-free treat.
Remember that some of the syrups and toppings used in Frappuccinos contain dairy. For example, the caramel sauce and chocolate shavings are milk-based. If you’re unsure, ask your barista.
And if you’ve been feeling left out of all the holiday cup fun, Starbucks has you covered with their first non-dairy holiday drink. The Iced Sugar Cookie Almondmilk Latte is made with sugar cookie syrup, blonde espresso roast and almond milk. (Other non-dairy drinks at Starbucks include hot brewed coffee, iced coffee, cold brew, caffe Americano, pink drink and violet drink.)
How to Order a Vegan Frappuccino
While Starbucks does not offer certified vegan beverages in their cafes, it’s possible to safely enjoy a vegan treat. Order your Frappuccino with either oat, soy, almond or coconut milk. Hold the whipped cream and any dairy-based toppings like caramel drizzle or chocolate chips. Keep in mind that many of the sauces like white mocha, smoked butterscotch and pumpkin spice all contain dairy as well.
Syrups that do not contain any animal-derived ingredients include vanilla, caramel, hazelnut and sugar cookie. Frappuccinos that can be made vegan by holding the whip and swapping the milk include:
- Coffee Frappuccino
- Espresso Frappuccino
- Caramel Frappuccino
- Vanilla Bean Frappuccino
- Strawberry Frappuccino
- Matcha Green Tea Frappuccino
How to Order a Keto Frappuccino
You don’t have to be a Starbucks secret menu expert to score a keto Frappuccino any time you like. To up the fat and ditch the sugar, order an unsweetened iced coffee with heavy cream and sugar-free vanilla syrup. Ask your barista to blend it up like a Frappuccino, and voila! A keto-friendly treat that’s just as delicious as the original.
More Healthy Starbucks Drinks
If you’re hesitant to ask for too many substitutions in your drink, why not enjoy one that’s already low in calories all on its own? You can order healthy Starbucks drinks that are light on calories and hit the spot any time of day.
- The coffee Frappuccino contains coffee, milk and ice and has only 160 calories for a tall size.
- The espresso Frappuccino is made with espresso, milk and ice and has 140 calories.
- At certain times of the year, Starbucks offers Frappuccinos in “mini” size. Each is packed with a sweet flavor and less than 150 calories.