When it comes to classic desserts, we can’t get enough pineapple upside-down cake. There’s something about that soft layer of sponge and gooey, pineapple glaze that transports us to holiday heaven. This time-tested treat has been around for over 100 years. Everyone—young and old—will be lining up for a slice.
Classic Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1 can (20 ounces) DOLE® Pineapple Slices
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 maraschino cherries
- Whipped topping, optional
1. Preheat oven to 375°. In an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan, combine butter and brown sugar. Drain DOLE Pineapple Slices, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Arrange 9 pineapple slices in a single layer over sugar (refrigerate any remaining slices for another use). Sprinkle pecans over pineapple; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Blend in vanilla and reserved pineapple juice. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to batter, beating well.
3. In a small bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon into pan.
4. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple slice. If desired, serve with whipped topping. Yield: 9 servings.
For more great holiday recipe ideas, visit dolesunshine.com.