- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- Toasted slivered almonds, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 cup sugar and water to a boil. Add the rhubarb. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Combine flour and remaining sugar; stir into rhubarb mixture. Return to a boil; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, 2 minutes. Stir in butter and almonds. Reduce heat to low; stir occasionally or until butter is melted.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients; cut in butter until crumbly. Whisk egg and milk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Pour hot rhubarb mixture into a 2-qt. shallow baking dish. Drop topping into six mounds over the rhubarb mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. If desired, sprinkle cobbler with almonds after removing from oven. Serve warm.
1 each: 427 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.