- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 cup sliced peeled fresh pears
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 8 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons sugar, flour, cinnamon, lemon zest and nutmeg. Add the apples, pears and extracts; toss to coat.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; lightly brush with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Layer with seven more sheets of phyllo, brushing each layer with some of the butter.
- Spoon apple mixture lengthwise over phyllo within 2 in. of a long side; fold in edges. Roll up, starting from the long side.
- Place seam side down in a parchment-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan. With a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits in top of strudel. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Apple Strudel: Substitute 3 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples for the apples and pears. Proceed as directed.
1 piece: 306 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.