- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups torn romaine
- 1 medium red apple, thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels or walnuts
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the first nine ingredients; shake well. In a salad bowl, combine the romaine, apple, onion and sunflower kernel. Add dressing and toss to coat. Let stand for 30 minutes.
1 cup: 92 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 84mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.