- 4-1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1/2 large cucumber, julienned
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- Black and white sesame seeds
- In a serving bowl, combine the vinegar, honey, oil, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Add cucumber and red pepper; stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Garnish with sesame seeds.
Asian Cucumber Salad Tips
What should I serve this Asian cucumber salad with?This Asian cucumber salad would go great with a homemade stir-fry. It could also add interest to a straightforward meal like any of these grilled steak recipes.
What is Japanese cucumber salad?Also known as sunomono, Japanese cucumber salad is a crisp and simple side dish that's typically made with paper-thin cucumber slices marinated in a vinegar dressing. Variations can also include seaweed, sprouts and shrimp.
What is Thai cucumber salad?Thai cucumber salad is similarly made with marinated cucumber, but it can also contain chiles, herbs and chopped peanuts. This Crisp & Spicy Cucumber Salad is somewhat similar.
Research contributed by Elizabeth Harris
3/4 cup: 34 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable.