- 12 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, sliced
- 12 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups milk
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Saute onions and celery in the drippings until tender; drain.
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain; set potatoes aside. In the same pan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; add onion mixture, potatoes, carrots, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with bacon.
1 cup: 386 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 782mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.