- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups day-old cubed sourdough bread
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add half of the mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Remove from pan. Repeat with remaining butter and mushrooms.
- Return mushrooms and onion to pan. Add vinegar, marjoram, salt and pepper. Cook until liquid evaporates, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk consomme, cream, eggs, egg yolks and thyme until blended. Stir in bread cubes and mushroom mixture; let stand 10 minutes or until bread is softened.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top with cream cheese. Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until set. Serve warm.