Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Optional: Maple syrup and sliced bananas
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a second bowl, combine the egg, milk, bananas and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with blueberries. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown. If desired, serve with syrup and sliced bananas.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled pancakes between layers of waxed paper in a resealable freezer container. To use, place pancakes on an ungreased baking sheet, cover with foil, and reheat in a preheated 375° oven 6-10 minutes. Or, place a stack of 3 pancakes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high until heated through, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 minutes.
Editor's Note: If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
2 pancakes: 195 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 317mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fruit.