- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, whisk egg and milk. Add bread; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in onion, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Crumble beef over mixture and mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape into a loaf in a greased 11x7-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes; drain.
- Spread ketchup over loaf. Bake until a thermometer reads 160°, 10-20 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
1 piece: 226 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 276mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.