Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 jar (4 ounces) vegetable beef dinner baby food
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In another small bowl, dissolve bouillon in boiling water. In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, milk powder, wheat flour, rice and gelatin. Stir in baby food, egg, oil, yeast mixture and bouillon mixture until combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead 8-10 times until mixture forms a ball. Roll to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. bone-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until set, 18-25 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Let stand 24 hours or until hardened. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
1 treat: 66 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.