Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 envelope (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- Coarse salt
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt and caraway seeds. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, beer and oil to 120°-130°; add to dry ingredients. Beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 14 equal portions; roll each into a 20-in. rope. Cover and let rest 10 minutes longer.
- Twist into pretzel shapes. Place on greased baking sheets; brush with eggs. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Brush again with eggs; sprinkle with Gouda and coarse salt. Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm.
1 each: 233 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 338mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.