Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. In a large bowl, combine honey, butter, eggs, salt, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into an 18-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid. Starting at 1 end of braid, loosely wrap dough around itself to form a coil. Tuck ends under; pinch to seal. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°.
- For egg wash, whisk egg with water; brush over loaf. Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
1 piece: 135 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 211mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.