- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder, optional
- Optional: Chopped walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts or peanuts
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat the egg, oil, sugar, water and vanilla. Whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and, if desired, espresso powder; stir into egg mixture until blended.
- Spread into a greased or parchment paper-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Top with chopped nuts if desired. Bake until very firm to the touch, 12-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Break into pieces. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and oil; stir until smooth. Drizzle over pieces. Let stand until set.
1 piece: 78 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 44mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.