- 1 large onion
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Cut onion into 1/4-in. slices; separate into rings. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In another shallow bowl, whisk egg and milk. Place bread crumbs in a third shallow bowl. Coat onion with flour mixture, then dip in egg mixture and coat with bread crumbs.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry onion rings, a few at a time, for 30 seconds on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with seasoned salt.
1 serving: 142 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 435mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.