- 4 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Toppings: shredded lettuce, diced tomato, sour cream
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook tortillas, one at a time, in oil until lightly browned and puffed, about 30 seconds on each side. Drain on paper towels. In the same skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in beans chilies, salsa and salt. Place one tortilla in an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Top with a fourth of the bean mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers three times. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges. Garnish with toppings of your choice.
Instead of using refried beans in Burrito Stack, use a 15-ounce can of black beans that has been rinsed and drained. Mash lightly with a fork before adding to the ground beef mixture.