- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 3 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the onion, carrots and celery in butter for 3 minutes. Add broccoli; cook 3 minutes longer. Stir in 2-3/4 cups milk, salt, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Combine the flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes longer or until thickened.
1-1/4 cups: 168 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 633mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat-free milk, 1/2 fat.