- 1/3 cup port wine or chicken broth
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) couscous
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- In a small saucepan, heat wine until hot. In a small bowl, soak raisins in wine for 5 minutes. Drain raisins, reserving wine.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Stir in couscous. Cook and stir until lightly browned. Stir in the broth, raisins and half each of the salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork.
- In a small skillet, saute carrots in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Combine sugar, molasses, reserved wine and the remaining salt and pepper. Stir into carrots; heat through.
- In a large bowl, combine couscous mixture and carrots; toss to combine.
3/4 cup: 188 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 277mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.