- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 18 medium garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Canola oil for frying
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, saute onions and red peppers in butter until tender. Add 1/4 cup garlic, celery salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add the potatoes, cheeses, flour, sour cream and remaining garlic; mix well.
- Heat 1/4 in. of oil in same skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into hot oil. Press lightly to flatten. Fry until golden brown, carefully turning once. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with parsley.
3 potato pancakes: 437 calories, 29g fat (11g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 677mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.