Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups rye flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- Additional cornmeal
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring water, cornmeal and salt to a boil; stir until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and molasses. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the cornmeal mixture, rye flour and 1 cup all purpose flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch the dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; knead cheese cubes into the dough. Divide into three portions; shape each portion into a 5-in. round loaf.
- Sprinkle greased baking sheets with cornmeal. Place loaves on prepared pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Store in the refrigerator.
1 slice: 231 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 371mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.