Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs, divided
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Lemon wedges, optional
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg whites and egg. Add 3/4 cup bread crumbs, chives, flour, pepper sauce, baking powder, salt and pepper; mix well. Fold in crab. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Place remaining bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Drop crab mixture by scant 1/4 cupfuls into crumbs. Gently coat and shape into 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook crab cakes in oil in batches over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. If desired, serve with lemon wedges.
1 crab cake: 119 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 509mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 13g protein.