- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Combine flour and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape dough into a disk. Wrap and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Trim and flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°. Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights. Bake on a lower oven rack until light golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-6 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 325°.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugars, melted chocolate, milk, flour and vanilla. Gradually whisk in butter. Pour into crust. Cover edge with foil to prevent overbrowning.
- Bake at 325° until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate, covered, for 3 hours or until chilled.
1 piece: 436 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.