- 8 milk chocolate bars (1.55 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a saucepan, melt chocolate with water over low heat. Mixture will begin to harden.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and the chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, salt and soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in nuts if desired.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan or fluted tube pan. Bake for 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired.
1 slice: 353 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.