- 11 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 cups cold water
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 1 medium lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 medium orange, cut into wedges
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Mince five garlic cloves; halve the remaining garlic cloves and set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the apple juice, salt, brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, bay leaves and minced garlic. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from the heat. Add cold water to cool the brine to room temperature.
- Remove giblets from turkey and discard. Place a turkey-size oven roasting bag inside a second roasting bag; add turkey. Carefully pour cooled brine into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible; seal bags and turn to coat. Place in a roasting pan. Refrigerate for 18-24 hours, turning several times.
- Drain and discard brine. Rinse turkey under cold water; pat dry. Place the lemon, orange, onion, thyme and reserved garlic in both cavities. Rub oil over skin. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- Place turkey breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 4 to 4-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 160° (cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly). Let stand for 15 minutes before removing contents from cavities and carving the turkey.