- 1 recipe Basic Sweet Dough
- 1 recipe Chocolate Lover's or Cinnamon Nut or Fruity Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 15x12-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. (If using Fruity Cream Cheese Filling, spread with cream cheese mixture; set jam aside.) Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. place, seam side down, on a greased 12-in. pizza pan; pinch ends together to form a ring. With scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of the ring at 1-1/2-in. intervals (see photos below right). Separate pieces; slightly twist to show filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. (If using Fruity Cream Cheese Filling, place 1 teaspoon of jam in the center of each slice.) Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- For glaze, combine sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. drizzle over coffee cake.