Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 large unpeeled oranges, cut into quarters and seeded
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- Grind cranberries and oranges (including peel). Set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and ginger. Add ground fruit; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 15 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in nuts if desired. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, for crust, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and lemon zest. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Add egg yolks and vanilla. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Pat two-thirds of dough into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Cover with cranberry-orange mixture. Crumble remaining dough on top. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack; cut into bars.
1 bar: 207 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 63mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.