Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed French onion soup
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 9 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Chopped fresh thyme, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onions; saute until tender. Add sugar; cook and stir until lightly browned. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add the broth, soup and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Meanwhile, place bread on a baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat until toasted, about 2 minutes on each side. Sprinkle with mozzarella; broil until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls; top each with a cheese toast. If desired, top with chopped fresh thyme.
1 cup with 1 cheese toast: 192 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 875mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.