- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 7-1/2 cups chopped cabbage
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender, adding the cabbage during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine green onions and milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Drain potato mixture. Mash with milk mixture, butter, salt and pepper.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
3/4 cup: 131 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 320mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.