- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450°. Using 1/2 teaspoon shortening for each cup, grease the bottom and sides of six 6-oz. custard cups or the cups of popover pan. If using custard cups, place on a 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs; blend in milk and butter. Beat in flour and salt until smooth (do not overbeat).
- Fill cups half full. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake until very firm, about 30 minutes longer. Remove from oven and prick each popover to allow steam to escape. Serve immediately.
1 popover: 160 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 253mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.