- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups eggnog
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CREAMY CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Additional nutmeg, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube can. Combine first six ingredients; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a heavy saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool completely. Fold in whipped cream; refrigerate until cold. Serve sauce with cake; if desired, sprinkle with nutmeg.
1 serving: 206 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.