- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen vegetarian meat crumbles
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: sour cream, cilantro, lime wedges, salsa
- Cut three 25x3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, cook the vegetarian meat crumbles, onion and green pepper in oil until vegetables are tender. Stir in both cans of beans, tomatoes, water, chili powder, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- In prepared slow cooker, layer 1 cup bean mixture, 1 tortilla and 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers 5 times. Cover and cook on low until heated through and cheese is melted, 4-5 hours. (To avoid scorching, rotate slow cooker insert a half turn midway through cooking, lifting carefully with oven mitts.)
- Using foil strips as handles, remove the pie to a platter. Serve with toppings of your choice.
Editor's NoteVegetarian meat crumbles are a nutritious protein source made from soy. Look for them in the natural foods freezer section.
1 piece: 367 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 818mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.