- 3 large navel oranges
- 1 medium fennel bulb, finely chopped, plus 1 tablespoon chopped fennel fronds
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 large fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Cut a thin slice from the top and bottom of each orange; stand orange upright on a cutting board. With a knife, cut off peel and outer membrane from orange. Working over a bowl to catch juices, cut along the membrane of each segment to remove fruit. Finely chop oranges; add to bowl with reserved juices.
- Add remaining ingredients; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, until serving.
1/2 cup: 77 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.