- 8 to 10 slices day-old French bread (1 inch thick)
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Brush both sides of bread with butter; place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, beat eggs and yolks. Add milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg; mix well. Pour over the bread slices. Cover and chill overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before serving. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
1 serving: 310 calories, 21g fat (12g saturated fat), 185mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.