- 1/2 cup dried green split peas
- 1/3 cup beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked alphabet pasta or other small pasta
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 quarts water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a 1-1/2-pint jar, layer the first seven ingredients in the order listed. Wrap pasta in a small sheet of plastic wrap; add to jar. Seal tightly. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months.
- To prepare soup: Remove pasta from jar and set aside. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the beef until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes and soup mix; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in the reserved pasta; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the pasta, peas, barley and lentils are tender.
1 cup: 165 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 meat.