- Dough for single-crust deep-dish pie
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Gradually add milk; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Gradually stir in chocolate mixture. Pour into crust. Combine pecans and coconut; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake until puffed and browned, 45-50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 4 hours. Refrigerate until serving (filling will become firm as it cools).
1 piece: 720 calories, 41g fat (24g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 388mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.