Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Coarse salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar and salt. Stir in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes (dough will be sticky). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and divide into six portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 14-in. rope; twist in a pretzel shape. Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with butter; sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm.
1 each: 154 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.