- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg white
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup amaranth flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- In a large bowl, beat the first 5 ingredients until well blended. Combine the cornmeal, amaranth flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt; gradually beat into milk mixture until blended. Stir in corn and cheese.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use foil liners; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake at 375° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 15-18 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
1 muffin: 169 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.