Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 4 large grapefruit
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Halve grapefruits and section; remove membranes. Return grapefruit sections to grapefruit halves. Drizzle 1/4 teaspoon rum extract over each. Top each with 1 rounded tablespoon of whipped cream. Place on an ungreased foil-lined baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cornstarch and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Mound 1/2 cup on each grapefruit half; spread meringue to edges to seal. Bake until meringue is browned, 15 minutes. Top each with a cherry. Serve immediately.
1/2 grapefruit: 152 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 26mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.