Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 2/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon miniature semisweet chocolate chips or M&M's minis
- 1 pound white candy coating, finely chopped
- 24 miniature pretzels
- Edible glitter
- Green, blue, red, yellow and black gel food coloring
- 3/4 cup vanilla frosting
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Pearl candy dragees
- 12 white Life Savers
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Set aside 1/3 cup of dough for angel heads.
- Divide remaining dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion into a 6-in. circle; cut each into six wedges. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. For angel heads, shape teaspoonfuls of reserved dough into 12 balls; flatten into circles. Lightly press on top of pointed end of each wedge. Add chips for eyes.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating at 50% power 2-3 minutes or until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Coat pretzels with candy coating; shake off excess. Place on waxed paper; sprinkle with edible glitter. Freeze 15 minutes or until firm.
- Place angels on waxed paper. Tint some of the candy coating green and some blue. Frost angels' dresses with tinted candy coating; sprinkle with edible glitter.
- In a small bowl, beat vanilla frosting and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Place 2 tablespoons frosting in a small bowl; tint red and set aside. If desired, decorate dresses with white frosting and pearl dragees. Using tinted candy coating, attach pretzel wings. Freeze for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Tint remaining frosting yellow for hair. Chill for 15 minutes or until firm. Using grass pastry tip #233 and yellow frosting, pipe hair onto heads. For halos, dip Life Savers in water; sprinkle with edible glitter. Let stand for 5 minutes or until glitter is set; press halos gently onto hair.
- Using round pastry tip #1 and reserved red frosting, pipe mouths. With black food coloring and a clean paintbrush, add eyelashes. Let stand until completely dry.
1 each: 540 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 205mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (54g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.