- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh lemon balm or 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- Prepare grill for indirect heat using a drip pan. In a small bowl, mix the first 11 ingredients. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken; rub seasoning mixture under and over skin. Tuck wings under chicken and tie legs.
- Place chicken over drip pan and grill, covered, over indirect medium heat until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours, rotating occasionally. Remove chicken from grill; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
5 ounces cooked chicken: 364 calories, 24g fat (6g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 681mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 33g protein.