- 1 package yellow or white cake mix (regular size)
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, combine dry cake mix, egg whites, sour cream and applesauce. Beat on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Cover with remaining batter; cut through with a knife to swirl. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth; drizzle over warm cake.
Honey Bun Cake Tips
What is a honey bun cake?Honey bun cake is a sticky, cinnamony cake that tastes like the store-bought treats. Despite the name, it doesn’t contain honey, but does feature a sweet vanilla glaze and a yellow cake mix. Find out the best yellow cake mix our Test Kitchen loves.
What other desserts can I make with cake mix?There’s so much you can do, starting with this collection of cake mix desserts. Think: red velvet cinnamon rolls, birthday cake fudge, quick breads, pancakes and more.
When should I serve this honey bun cake?Its cozy cinnamon flavor makes it a great brunch treat, especially during spring, fall, or holiday seasons. Find more perfect baked goods for spring brunch.
1 piece: 185 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate, 1g fiber), 2g protein.