- 3-1/2 cups 1% milk
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup uncooked basmati rice, washed and drained
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup unsalted pistachios, chopped, divided
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon rose water, optional
- Combine milk, carrots, rice, cardamom, cinnamon and ginger in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in half the chopped pistachios. Cook, covered, on high heat for 2-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add agave and raisins; reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until rice is tender, 15 minutes longer. If desired, stir in rose water. Serve warm, or refrigerate and serve chilled. Garnish each serving with remaining pistachios.
1/2 cup: 176 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.