- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Irish cream liqueur
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons Irish cream liqueur
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven 350°. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in applesauce and vanilla (mixture may appear curdled). Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with liqueur, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18-22 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in liqueur. Add confectioners’ sugar; beat until smooth. Pipe over tops of cupcakes. Refrigerate leftovers.
1 cupcake: 273 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.