- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- In a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Place in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Top with potatoes. In the same skillet, saute onion, green pepper and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in the mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, basil, salt and pepper. Spoon over potatoes to within 1 in. of edge of dish. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and parsley on top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until top is lightly browned.