- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1/2 pound)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons shredded Italian cheese blend
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg. In another shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cut steak in half; dip each piece in egg, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook steaks in oil over medium-high heat for 2-4 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Meanwhile, heat sauce in a small saucepan. Spoon over steaks; sprinkle with cheese.
1 steak with 1/4 cup sauce and 1 tablespoons cheese: 282 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 157mg cholesterol, 416mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.