- 4-1/2 quarts popped popcorn
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- Place popcorn in two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Keep warm in a 225° oven.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water; bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir occasionally until mixture reaches 290° on a candy thermometer (soft-crack stage). Remove from the heat; quickly stir in extract and baking soda. Pour over warm popcorn. Sprinkle with lemon zest; stir until well coated. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's Note: 1/2 cup of unpopped kernels equals about 4 cups popped popcorn.
1 cup: 153 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.